What is Computer Science about? Understand the ideas and models of language, computation, complexity, network; learn to apply them in practice.
This course presents the conceptual background of Computer Science as a science, and the fundamental ideas and methods of theory and practice of computation. It introduces and explains the concepts of language, state machine, computer, interpreter, specializer, compiler, using a graphical framework for reasoning about computability, complexity and program construction. The students will acquire the capability to understand and use the basic methods of Computer Science.
People, time and place:
- Lectures, Labs, Practica: Dusko, Liang-Ting, Muzamil
- Time: Tuesday and Thursday 15:00-16:15
- Place: Sakamai 103 (or Keller 304, when announced)
- Period: 23 August 2016 – 15 December 2015
- Office hours: Tuesday 13:00-15:00, or by appointment
Lecture slides and notes:
- Part 0: Introduction
- Part 1: Language
- Part 2: Machine
- Part 3: Computer
- Part 4: Software
- Part 5: Overview