What is Computer Science about? Understand the ideas and models of language, computation, complexity, network; learn to apply them in practice.
This course presents the conceptual background of Computer Science as a science, and the fundamental ideas and methods of theory and practice of computation. It introduces and explains the concepts of language, state machine, computer, interpreter, specializer, compiler, using a graphical framework for reasoning about computability, complexity and program construction. The students will acquire the capability to understand and use the basic methods of Computer Science.
People, time and place:
- Lectures, Labs, Practica: Dusko, Muzamil
- Time: Tuesday and Thursday 15:00-16:15
- Place: Kuykendall 305 (lectures) and Hamilton 2K (practica)
- Office hours:
- Time: Tuesday 13:00-15:00, or by appointment
- Place: POST 315 (or POST 311 when you are the first)
- Period: 21 August 2017 – 15 December 2017