What is Computer Science about? Understand the ideas and models of language, computation, complexity, network; learn to apply them in practice.
This course presents the conceptual background of Computer Science as a science, and the fundamental ideas and methods of theory and practice of computation. It introduces and explains the concepts of language, state machine, computer, interpreter, specializer, compiler, using a graphical framework for reasoning about computability, complexity and program construction. The students will acquire the capability to understand and use the basic methods of Computer Science.
People, time and place:
- Lecturer: Dusko Pavlovic
- Co-instructor: Tobias Heindel
- Teaching Assistant: Sushil Shrestha
- Lectures and practica:
- Time: Tuesday and Thursday 15:00-16:15
- Place: Sakamai A103
- Office ours:
- Time: Tuesday and Thursday 10:00-11:00 and 13:00-14:00
- Place: POST 315 or 311
- Calendar (Please check Laulima for updates.)
- Introduction (slides, notes)
- First concept: Counting (slides, notes)
- Second concept: State (done so far: slides, notes)